4.3.19

Burradon Colliery Village Timeline 1861-1872

1861 - Land was purchased from Charles Straker by John Fryer, the viewer of the colliery, to build rows of housing and a shop (Fryers Terrace). The shop was at first ran by family members, but later became a Post Office and then a Co-operative store.

1860s - A small Primitive Methodist chapel was built adjoining the school on its southern side. This was part of the Seaton Delaval Primitive Methodist circuit. The Methodists divided areas into circuits, appointing a minister to each one, who on each Sunday would visit a different chapel within the circuit. Local men, who felt they had a certain religious calling, would become lay preachers for their respective chapel. On the 1861 census Joseph Maddison described himself as a lay preacher and in 1881 Alexander Bolton the shopkeeper also had this title.


1861 - A school was built on Burradon Road and was capable of accommodating between 450 and 500 pupils. The school was completely the property of the miners and was larger than either the Seghill or West Moor schools, a fact that the miners were "justifiably proud of". Each married man had to pay 6d. per fortnight for running expenses. Young men and boys could pay 3d. per fortnight if they wished to take advantage of the night school. The school was mixed and completely unsectarian in its teaching. A news room and library was also attached to the school and had thirty members. Money from the mining disaster relief fund had been used to part-fund the initial construction. And on 3rd October 1863, The Newcastle Guardian reported:

"On Wednesday afternoon, H. Taylor, Esq., and R. Rowell, paid their half-yearly visit to this colliery on behalf of the Burradon Relief Fund. After transacting their usual business connected with the widows and orphans, these gentlemen, with their ladies, examined the Colliery Schools. They very kindly awarded prizes to the scholars for good conduct, attendance, and progress. The children acquitted themselves in the various subjects of the examination to the entire satisfaction of the visitors and school committee, and to the credit of the teachers. A pleasant afternoon was concluded by a general distribution of fruit and small rewards."


1861 - Census

Hazlerigg (Weetslade Township)

Population 462; Dwellings 90.

Occupations
Shoemaker, John Copeman, West Indian, Roughs Cottage
Grocer, Robert Palmer, Also listed in 1851, site of Station Road
Chemist, William Parton
Grocer, Thomas Purvis, Also listed in 1841, beside Halfway House
Innkeeper of Halfway House, Elizabeth Carr
Mineworkers mostly in the following housing

Buildings NE-SW

Lane Row, 48; Wood Houses, 8; West Row, 32; Smith's Cottages, 2; Halfway House; Hazlerigg, 3; Roughs Cottage.

Camperdown (Killingworth Township)

Population 74; Dwellings 19.

Occupations
Head of Beer House [Travellers Rest] Joiner, George Carr, Also listed in 1858
Grocer, Edward Short, x1858, between Travellers Rest and Collier Lad
Innkeeper Collier Lad, John Brown
Butcher and farmer of 28 acres, Samuel Pollock, Bookies shop on Front Street?
Innkeeper Grey Horse, Elizabeth Blakey, Also listed in 1858
The rest comprise of mineworkers, labourers and 1 quarry worker

Buildings W-E

Camperdown, 4; Beer House; Camperdown 2; Grocers shop; Collier Lad; Camperdown, 2; Dixon Building, 1; Grey Horse; House [Railway Cottage].

Burradon (Township)

Population 507; Approx. 61 person in farm area, Approx. 210 colliery, Approx. 190 Burradon Terraces; Dwellings 80.

Occupations
Farmer of 552 acres, William Younger, employing 11 men and 2 maidens
Butcher, Robert Scott, Farm
The rest comprise mostly agricultural labourers and some miners
Colliery Blacksmith, John Yellowley, Burradon Terraces
Horse Shoer, James Hume, Burradon Terraces
Blacksmith, Dickinson Sankey, Burradon Terraces

Diverse population of miners and farm workers in Burradon Terraces, which poses the question of who commissioned this housing?
Cartman and wagonway man, Peter Mather, Pit Row
Blacksmith, Thomas Gerhans, Pit Row
Joiner, John Hardy, Pit Row
Brickmaker, Robson Lodge [Brick Field shown on 1858 map], Pit Row
Coal Heap Keeper, Adam Tindle, Pit Row
Mostly persons employed by the colliery in Pit Row, but not miners
Resident Viewer, John Fryer, Office Row [manager's house]
Overman, William Kirkley, Office Row

Buildings N-S
Farmstead; Burradon Terraces; Pit Row; Office Row

Interestingly Margaret Fryer a widow aged 60 is listed who lost a husband and son in the Colliery Disaster of 1860. She still had a son aged 18 and a daughter at home but had 5 lodgers living under her roof. Three were young miners aged 19-22 from Co Durham and one was a miner aged 36 and his wife. These were less than ideal conditions, but the company would have been short of miners after the disaster and would have encouraged young pitmen with few ties to emigrate to Burradon. Widows like Margaret would have little option than to take in lodgers to be able to make ends meet and retain their housing.

Total Population 1043; Total dwellings 189


1863 Feb 07 - Newcastle Guardian and Tyne Mercury: Accident At Burradon Colliery

"An accident occurred at this colliery on Tuesday, which, though not attended with any fatal results, afforded strong evidence of the danger of working with naked lights. It appears that on the morning of that day, Mr. William Kirkley, one of the overmen, paid a visit to a part of the pit where considerable gas is evolved from the coal. For purposes of ventilation bratticing has here been erected; it had been decided to form an extra air crossing at this point, and it was in examination of the part that Kirkley proceeded to the spot. From some cause or other he used a naked candle, and the consequence was that the gas accumulated there took fire, and he was severely burnt on the face and hands. The fire was soon extinguished, and Kirkley walked alone to the shaft. Prompt measures were taken to prevent any more serious results from the accident, the pit was soon in working order, and it is expected that as Mr. Kirkley's burns are not serious, he will be able in a short time to return to his employment. Rumour was busy with the accident, and its proportions were so increased that considerable anxiety was manifested in the neighbourhood, and many anxious persons journeyed to Burradon, only to find their fears at rest."


1866 Jul - John Harrison had caught Thomas Charlton and Thomas Horsfield - boys employed at Burradon Colliery - breaking sheaves (a guide for the ropes pulling wagons by means of a fixed engine on a railway) on the Brunton-Shields railway line near Camperdown. The railway owner's agent did not seek compensation for this act of 25s. damage, but wanted an example set, because they have been caused a considerable nuisance and expense by this vandalism, that had been going on for a long time. Charlton - said to be the ringleader - was sent to prison for three days. His mother made an arrogant and impertinent plea to the bench, but they were told she was a violent woman who had threatened John Harrison's wife. The boy was taken away crying.


1867 Nov 12 - This short piece appeared in the "Shields Daily News": "Mr John Younger the enterprising tenant of Burradon Farm has purchased two self propelled steam driven cultivating machines. These had arrived the previous Saturday from John Fowler and Company, Steam Plough Works, Leeds. The steam was applied and the machines propelled themselves through the town to Burradon. They were quickly put to work, most satisfactorily, in a field near Burradon Pit."


1871 - Nathanial Lambert purchased Burradon Colliery by auction. He, along with his partners, lived and had financial interests in the Killingworth district. They also owned the Coxlodge colliery and from this time forward their company was known as the Burradon and Coxlodge Coal Company. They traded up until the time of nationalisation in the mid-20th century.


1863 Sep 02 - The Times

"Considerable amount of anxiety was created in this town yesterday afternoon by intelligence being brought in that an accident had occurred at Burradon Colliery, which, if it had been single shafted and had only one outlet, might have involved very serious consequences. About 1 o'clock in the afternoon of yesterday the pit was working as usual, the engine was in motion, and was drawing to bank one iron cage containing four tubs of coals, and lowering another empty one, when, owing to a balance weight giving way, the ropes broke, and both tubs fell to the bottom of the shaft. The engine, on being released from its load, was set in motion with increased velocity, and one of the wire ropes was drawn upwards with such violence as to cause injuries to the machinery on the bank, which prevented an immediate resumption of operations. Thus both tubs were lying at the shaft foot, and even the provision of new ones could have done no good at the time in consequence of the injury to the engine. At the workings at the time there were about 200 men and boys, who soon became acquainted with what had occurred, and flocked to the bottom of the shaft, by which they were not slow to perceive they could not hope for a considerable time to reach daylight. Under the guidance of Thomas Weatherley and others, who knew the workings thoroughly, they sought a passage to the shaft of Seghill Colliery, which is about three miles distant; and though constantly exposed to danger from disturbing stoppings &c., they steadily made their way from where, if they had been obliged to stay longer, they must have run a much greater chance of losing their lives. The story of the escape is short ; the men persevered amid difficulties, and with good guidance had got through half of the distance between Burradon and their destination, where they were met by Mr. Rendall, viewer, of Seghill, with a party. Their way thence forward was rid of the most serious obstacles, and they reached Seghill about 4 o'clock, and were taken to bank without one of the number having sustained an injury. It is expected that three or four days will suffice to place the machinery at Burradon in proper working order."


1871 - Census

Camperdown and Hazlerigg

Population 536; Dwellings 155

Occupations
Draper, Jane Cobbie, H. Square
Blacksmith, William Brighton, H. Square
Grocer, Elenora Laverick, Also listed in 1858, Possibly Dixon's Buildings, H. Square
Medical Botanist, William Porter, Shorts Cottages
Cooper, James Holden, Shorts Cottages
Innkeeper Halfway House, Thomas Finlay
Innkeeper Travellers Rest, Elizabeth Carr [George Carr in 1858]
Shopkeeper, John Forster [previously Edward Short, Carrs Buildings]
Publican (and Coalminer) Collier Lad, Edward Urwin
Innkeeper Grey Horse, George Means
Grocer, John Fryer, Fryer's Terrace
Shoemaker, John Palmer, Fryer's Terrace
Postman, Alexander Scott, Fryer's Terrace
Blacksmith, William Smith, Fryer's Terrace

Burradon

Population 561; Dwellings 118

Occupations
Shopkeeper, Alexander Bolton, Dodds Row
Newsagent, Willam Durey, Dodds Row
Blacksmith, William Mather, Office Row
Deputy Overman, Robert Hays, Office Row
Viewer, John Maughan, Viewer's House
Blacksmith, Dickinson Sankey, Pit Row [1861 living in Burradon Terraces]
Blacksmith, William Young, Burradon Terraces
Overman, Robert Hay, Burradon Terraces
Blacksmith, John Bell, Burradon Terraces

Farmer of 500 Acres, John Younger [William Younger in 1861] employing nine labourers and three boys

The rest of the working population was mostly colliery workers and agricultural labourers

Total Population 1097; Total Dwellings 273


1872 - The first Co-operative store was opened in Camperdown.


1872 - Work began on the new colliery housing of North, Middle and Double Rows. The new colliery owner was responding to criticism of the existing housing, which was described by one newspaper reporter as a disgrace. Families were actually beginning to leave Burradon to find work elsewhere because of this.


1872 - The average daily attendance of the school was 164 pupils